Here you will find everything that needs to be in your good old Toiletry Bag. From hygiene articles to make-up to medicines. As always, this is only a rough overview so that you don’t forget anything, but especially with medicines or make-up items (of which I hardly take anything with me) the list should be adjusted individually. However, if you don’t travel to the end of the world or can’t live without a special product, the rule “you can buy (almost) everything locally” applies as always.
- Zip lock bags – probably the most important thing on the list! You can find the resealable freezer bags in every supermarket, you can use them again and again and your luggage is protected from leaking shampoo or other liquids.
- Shower Gel
- Hair Oil
- Hair Spray
- Hair Ties
- Facial serum
- Body lotion
- Sunscreen (Face & Body)
- Après sun
- Sun lip balm
- Tooth Brush (if electric, don’t forget the charging station!)
- Cotton swabs
- Tampons or other hygiene products
- Nail file
- Nail scissors & clippers
- Optional nail polish
- Disinfectant wipes or wet wipes for “washing hands”
- Travel laundry detergent
Styling & Make-Up
- Makeup remover or wipes – I find wipes more convenient for travel
- Foundation/ tinted day cream
- Blush & Highlighter
- Straightening Iron – more for short trips or city trips, where you might want to dress up more often
- Travel Hair Dryer – I never take it with me, because either the hotel has a hair dryer or it’s just unnecessary luggage on longer trips. In warm countries, hair dries quickly in the air anyway. You just have to live with the backpacker look 😉
- Ibuprofen, Paracetamol or other pain relievers
- Medicines for travel sickness or other nausea
- Loperamid or Immodium
- Inhaler or asthma spray
- Any other medication that needs to be taken regularly
- Pill & Condoms – Safety First, Folks!
- Travel medikit/ plasters – I have it with me but have never used it, in an emergency you go to the doc anyway
- Mosquito repellent – here, too, I usually buy locally, since the locals usually have the right remedy against the local beasts. At home I swear by Anti Brumm.
- Remedies for mosquito bites or the Bite Away that was recommended to me recently. Seems to really help with the itching…
- Supplements (e.g. zinc, magnesium, selenium etc.)
Cooking & Hygiene (real life savers for self-catering and in hostel kitchens)
- Your own mug (or double-walled stainless steel mug), Travel Cutlery or an entire Outdoor-Outdoor Kitchen Set (if necessary, buy on site)
- Resealable, leak-proof Lunch Boxes as plate substitute & for food remainders (if necessary, buy on site)
- Sponge and dishwashing liquid – if needed, really only buy on site, please don’t carry this around with you all the time!
Let’s continue with the last and fourth part of the ultimate packing list. It is about clothing, sports luggage, important documents and the checklist before leaving the apartment.